Wednesday, March 7, 2012

An Ever-Changing Gulu

Each time I come to Gulu I notice more development taking place. Some of it I enjoy. Other things I can do without. I’m not against development, but I don’t want Gulu to lose its small town feel or any of the other qualities I love about it.

I thought I’d take some time to show pictures that document some of the changes:


The Market












March 2011 September 2011 March 2012











The demolished market and then plans for the new market












The place where they shifted the old market...Kawuna Grounds. It is government property, on loan to the market until the new one is built. It's actually a good place for the market, except that it's on the outskirts of town. There's more space. Stalls selling packaged goods, clothes, repair shops and that kind of thing are set up in a large square. The middle area behind these shops is open, and that is where the fruit, vegetable, and meat sellers are.
























My favorite named pork place and the intersection it's next to...back in March 2011.











The same pork place and intersection in March 2012. It now has a roundabout.




A new building, around the corner from the pork place...
Friendship House






Parking Tickets...yes, it now costs 1,500/= to park anywhere in town.


















A view of town from the road to Senior Quarters - March 2011










The same view one year later - March 2012




Uchumi has come to Gulu!








Computer and Internet Center






Lots and lots and lots of construction!











No comments: